Tuesday, February 11, 2014

right now.



Right now, I'm sitting at one of my favorite Starbucks locations here in Wilmington. It's at the corner of two busy streets, and the flow of cars zooming by is unending. Every time the door opens, I'm forced to realize that maybe I should have added a few layers to my outfit - after all, it is only 29 degrees outside. 

The familiar whirs and sputters of the espresso machines are slowly but surely threatening to lull me to sleep, but bursts of alert, focused energy keep finding their way through the woodwork, reminding me that maybe I should make some use out of my time today.

The truth is, it's hard to get out of bed when the muted light coming from behind the blinds is a gray putty color, signaling the continuance of dreary, cold weather to which you're just never going to grow accustomed. Even now, as I gaze to my right, freezing rain is doing a kind of taunting dance on the large, clear-paned windows. Frost is gathering on the glass of the door. 

And I know that soon, I'll need to leave, and soon, I'll have to worry that the roads may be frozen as I drive slowly on them. 

But for now, I'm inside, admiring my recently-painted candy-apple-red nails. Just in time for Valentine's Day. For now, I'm remembering the little things that have inspired me lately. Unexpected blogs, crisp and refreshing in their simplicity, just waiting to be read. 

And even though right now is a time of waiting with bated breath by the mailbox, for something that feels like it may never show up, I'm happy. I'm happy because my house is clean, my husband is his usual, wonderful self, and I have time to read books. I'm happy because I know that today is treat day, and there is a black and white cookie waiting for me at Harris Teeter. I'm happy because yesterday I cooked both lunch and dinner, and today I'll make lunch for myself again.

And right now, that is enough. 

9 comments:

siddathornton said...

I love your nail polish! Spending time at Starbucks sounds wonderful, even if it is cold and snowy outside. :)

siddathornton said...

O the grey skies are really getting to me as well, this morning I was happy to see a bit of fresh snow covering the old dingy stuff but really bright green trees and fresh lawn would be better.

siddathornton said...

it pays with peace of mind to notice the little gifts. xo

siddathornton said...

I love this post. I love your blog :)

siddathornton said...

Thank you so very much! :) Comments like this make me want to keep writing, even when my mind feels blank, like it has basically all of February.

siddathornton said...

doesn't it, though? it brings great joy to my life.

siddathornton said...

i cannot WAIT for spring!

siddathornton said...

thank you! red will always be one of my favorites - i love how it feels so classic.

siddathornton said...

thank you! :) i would be so sad, not being able to paint my nails! -7?! it's a good thing i don't live in chicago...

the back and forth.

Justin had to turn on the air conditioner again last night.  It's October 26 - doesn't that mean the heater can stay on? Doesn't...