Wednesday, June 27, 2012

getting wedding ready: hair care edition.

since our wedding is getting closer & closer by the day (the countdown is now almost in the double digits - 108 days & counting!), i have started a little series called getting wedding ready, in an effort to both encourage myself to take the best care of myself possible, as well as to motivate others to step up their beauty routines. because let's face it: you just plain feel better when you're taking better care of yourself. 

last week we discussed skin care, & this week, it's hair care! 
getting wedding ready: hair care edition.

first things first, it's of utmost importance to have a shampoo + conditioner combo that works well with your hair type. i have tried a great many different shampoos & conditioners, & i always find that pantene works best with my hair type. honestly, this pantene duo is not what's currently in my shower, but i'm hoping to go pick them up soon. 

i'm a big fan of aussie hair products. not only are they inexpensive, but i find them to be extremely effective at what they set out to do. i use my three minute miracle every other shower to deep condition, in place of my regular daily conditioner. it really, deeply moisturizes my hair & really helps to de-tangle it. i use hair insurance almost daily - not only is it a great leave-in conditioner, but it smells amazingly of coconuts & the beach. the heat protecting shine spray does exactly what it says it does: protects my tresses as i fry them with straighteners & curling wands, as well as gives my hair a shiny finish.

the herbal essences long term relationship leave-in split end protection for long hair is something i use on an as-needed basis. lots of times, i will use it on second- or third-day hair, to spruce up the ends & keep them looking hydrated. i've found this stuff is way too greasy to use on any other part of my hair, which makes sense, considering it is marketed as such. on a side note, i find it has a strange scent - it kind of reminds me of pepper... but, this is definitely not a deal-breaker.

coconut oil has become something of a holy grail product for me - i use this as a conditioning hair treatment about once per week. i'll wash my hair at night, towel dry it, then coat my hair - root to tip - with this luxuriously creamy product. then, i'll throw my hair in a top knot & sleep on it. as i've said in a previous favorites video, it is a bit greasy & it does take a couple washes to get completely out, but the silky hair results are worth it. 

another product that has shown up in a previous favorites video is the got2b fat-tastic instant collagen infusion mega lift root-boosting spray. as i said in the video, this stuff is great for adding volume to clean hair, without adding greasy residue. 

last but not least, a good dry shampoo is a huge part of my hair-care routine. since i have dry hair, i do not wash it daily, & this suave professionals dry shampoo spray is perfect to spruce it up between washes. plus, it smells great!

sorry, no accompanying vlog for the hair care portion of the getting wedding ready series just yet - i have been quite sick for the past couple of days. as soon as i can bring myself to apply makeup & fix my hair again (hopefully tomorrow) i will upload a video & add it to this post. 



link-up: wedding wednesday \ something charming

7 comments:

Ivana said...

Thanks for this amazing informative post, Lauren! I've always wanted to try Aussie products, but they're not sold here in Austria. I'm a huge fan of Pantene and Elseve products, I use my Pantene restore mask religiously every week, since my hair is so long and I have highlights, and it works wonders! And I'm dying to try the new Elseve hair oil, I'm planning to buy it over the weekend when I'll be in France.

xx Ivana
Macarons and Pearls

Ivana said...

Thanks for this amazing informative post, Lauren! I've always wanted to try Aussie products, but they're not sold here in Austria. I'm a huge fan of Pantene and Elseve products, I use my Pantene restore mask religiously every week, since my hair is so long and I have highlights, and it works wonders! And I'm dying to try the new Elseve hair oil, I'm planning to buy it over the weekend when I'll be in France.

xx Ivana
Macarons and Pearls

Melissa said...

Okay, I'm OBSESSED with that got2b fat-tastic stuff, it's AMAZING, and I can't freaking find it anywhere! :( Love this list though - and pretty soon you're going to be in double digits!

Andrea said...

I have to say that I have tried so many different shampoos & conditioners, most being from the salon and higher priced but keep going back to Pantene! My stylist even said how healthy my hair was last time...I had been using Pantene only since my previous visit with her :) I think I've learned my lesson and don't plan on spending more for less quality.

Ameera (أميرة) said...

I'm a Garnier Fructis girl for basically all my hair care products :) Every once in a while I do a deep conditioning treatment with avocado and egg yolk. Thanks for posting!
-Tiff
http://thewanderingtheologian.blogspot.com

http://scarprinnow.com/ said...

Just saying hi and ty for this post.

Robinsen Clerk said...

Health training programs help engage people and communities to carry on with healthier lives by improving their physical, mental, enthusiastic, and social health by expanding their insight and influencing their perspectives about thinking about their prosperity.
Use this medicines to control high blood pressure-Amlopres 2.5mg Tablet.

the back and forth.

Justin had to turn on the air conditioner again last night.  It's October 26 - doesn't that mean the heater can stay on? Doesn't...